Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serenity 35mm prints retired  (Read 899 times)
Les Howard

Co-host of The Signal

View Profile
« on: 2012 February 07, 03:39:50 »

Universal has retired the 35mm prints of Serenity for US distribution.  Serenity will still be available to theaters in digital format, so this won't impact many CSTS events.

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/2012/02/04/end-of-an-era-farewell-to-us-35mm-prints-of-serenity/
Nick Edwards
Signal Crew

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: 2012 February 07, 08:08:38 »

Not that surprising - have you seen the state of some of the prints in circulation? Add in the cost of maintaining and storing these ($1000s plus each print costs maybe $3-5000 to make initially) and something that only gets a yearly outing and isn't making money for the studio will be retired. Luckily, with modern digital, not such an issue these days. I know that the UK only had 4 prints at one point not that far back and imagine that these have been withdrawn by now (I know someone I could ask)

Nick
Les Howard

Co-host of The Signal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 February 07, 15:27:48 »

The local Atlanta theater where they show CSTS doesn't have a digital system - so it may have to find a new home.  The theater was changing hands anyway, so there was no guarantee that it would continue to be a good home for our local event.  Still, I'm worried that this might cause us to loose some CSTS cities...
Jill Arroway
Signal Crew

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: 2012 February 08, 04:59:54 »

The local Atlanta theater where they show CSTS doesn't have a digital system

Within a few years, all movies will be digital. New movies will be digital only. Don't worry - your theater will catch up. Or go out of business. One of the two anyway. Point is, give it a few more years and it will be easier to find CSTS venues, rather than harder, because being digital means there are effectively an infinite number of copies.

PS. There's only one "o" in "lose". (Pet peeve).
Lioness

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: 2012 February 17, 10:55:49 »

We've heard a couple of people worrying about their cities but even last year the majority of cities were using some form of digital. Even the esteemed Coolidge Theater in Boston has gone digital just in time.  Up in Canada Serenity was shown on a number of screens earlier this year using the DCP format and people were raving about the clarity.

Communications Director 2013 Can't Stop The Serenity
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: